Blog Archive

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Els joins heroes in golf's Hall of Fame

Ernie wins British Open in 2002
South African golf has never looked so strong with a trio of winners from the last 13 majors in Trevor Immelman, Louis Oosthuizen and Charl Schwartzel.

And when you look back at some of their greats, it is easy to see why.

Of course they all read about the success of ‘The Black Knight’ growing up as kids, yet none of them were even alive by the time Gary Player slipped on the green jacket to record the last of his nine majors in 1978.

And so the stage was left to one man to inspire a new generation of stars – and last night Ernie Els joined an elusive cast of names in the World Golf Hall of Fame.

The affable 6’3” Johannesburg-born star, known for his languid swing and beaming smile, has won 62 tournaments around the world, including three majors and 18 PGA Tour titles.

But the award comes at a slightly awkward time for Els, who recently described his own game as “diabolical”.

“It’ll be a very special feeling to step on the first tee knowing you’ve made the Hall of Fame,” he said. “I’m still trying to win golf tournaments, still trying to win major championships [but] I think it’s a huge bonus for anybody’s career.

“Coming from South Africa, I didn’t even know there was a Hall of Fame. I look back in the records now, the Hall of Fame has been going since 1940. So obviously, I missed something.

“My dream was to win majors and to try to do what Gary Player did, win the Grand Slam and win a bunch of golf tournaments, trying to get onto the PGA Tour and things like that.”

Half the dream came true when Els took the 1994 and 1997 US Open titles before adding the Open Championship five years later.

“You don’t get inducted in here without doing something to catch people’s attention, whether it’s winning 18 or 19 majors like Jack Nicklaus or building golf courses like Pete Dye,” he continued.

“There are people here that have done special things in the game of golf. I feel I’ve won my fair share of tournaments around the world, a truly global golfer like my idol, Gary Player.”

It is not just his rhythm and balance that makes him a fan favourite, Els is a role model away from the course.

The 41-year-old is currently working to raise funds to build a state-of-the-art learning centre for children who have the same condition as his son Ben. In addition, Els’ junior golf foundation in his home country has produced a host of competent young players, as well as a pair of major champions in Oosthuizen and Schwartzel.

Els, who was elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility with 66% of the vote, joined former President George H.W. Bush, two-time major champions Doug Ford, the late Jock Hutchison, Japanese great Jumbo Ozaki and the late CBS Sports television producer Frank Chirkinian.

Ernie embraces his second US Open
What they say…

Gary Player
Nine-time major champion

“I was so pleased to hear the news that Ernie has been selected to be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame.

“He epitomises a world golfer. He is a credit to the game and an ambassador for the sport. Ernie has been a wonderful friend over the years and I am very fond of him and his family.”

Trevor Immelman
2008 Masters champion

“I was fascinated by him. The shots he was hitting were incredible, whether it be around the greens or with the long game, everybody knew he was going to be one of the best.

“I’m really proud of him, this is a fantastic achievement - probably the greatest thing you can achieve in our game is getting into the Hall of Fame.”

Louis Oosthuizen
2010 Open champion

“If it weren’t for Ernie, I would not be where I am today. I spent several happy years at Ernie’s foundation and whenever I wanted help since I have been out on Tour, Ernie has happily given it. I could not have found a better person to have worked with.”

Charl Schwartzel
2011 Masters champion

“Ernie has been a great inspiration and friend to me for years. He is always happy to give his time and expertise, and I have been the grateful beneficiary of his generosity.”

No comments:

Post a Comment